Thursday, December 5, 2013

0054 -- back to reality

It's back to reality for me lately. I've started working again and my days are filled back behind a huge computer screen editing files and preparing things for print...oh the life of a designer! Other than work and learning to wake up when it's dark and be functioning, we've finally found a hot yoga studio we like! We've only gone to one class but are heading to a different flow class tonight!

The holidays are coming up quick and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with what in the world to do for gifts this year. Jordan and I agreed that it will be a thrifting/vintage/DIY x-mas this year. I've been looking for all kinds of ideas...are you doing anything fun for x-mas gifts this year?

As in my last post I said I would share the recipes for our Vegan Apple Pie and our Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies, so here you go:

Apple Pie with Granola Dutch Topping:
Pie crust of your choice (we just make a really simple one) 2 ½ lbs assorted apples, peeled and cored Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut apples into 1/4 inch slice. In a large bowl toss the apples with lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Pour the apple mixture into the crust.
For the crumble combine all ingredients into a bowl and press together with fingers until large chunks form. Sprinkle crumble on top of pie. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.


Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies (also known as Russian Tea Cookies):
1 c Earth Balance (or vegan butter substitute)
2 c powder sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 c flour
1 c coarsely chopped nuts (I used almonds, but walnuts and pecans are super yummy too)

Beat butter butter until fluffy, add 1/2 cup powder sugar and the vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add in flour and then nuts and combine. Divide dough into two balls and wrap with plastic wrap. Allow to cook for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With the chilled dough roll balls (we did smaller bite size ones but you could do up to two tablespoon size balls) onto baking sheet. Bake 11-15 minutes until the balls are golden brown on the bottom and just lightly changing on top. Roll the warmed cookies in the remaining powder sugar and allow to cool on a wire rack! Voila!

2 comments:

  1. What's hot yoga? Thrifting/vintage gifts sound fun! I wish we had more shops like that to look for lots of goodies! Though I'd prob end up keeping a few things I find that I like myself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hot yoga is also called Bikram yoga. it's basically just regular yoga but in a heated room (105 degrees usually). it's really really fun!! you sweat a ton and it feels like such a great workout! I can't wait to take you shopping around here, you are going to love it!

      Delete